This awesome robotics contest registration opened May first (and will likely fill up by the end of the summer: 1,715 teams have already signed-up!) so get those applications in!
Here is the tentative schedule for the year:
Registration costs $200 per team, but also be sure to order the Field set-up kit (which should start shipping around August first) when you register, or it will be difficult to practice.
Registration Materials and Robot Sets Begin to Ship
Field Setup Kits Begin to Ship
International Challenge Release
Team Registration Closes/Last Day to Order Products
Tournament Applications Accepted (If FLL is handling applications)
Click on the following links to find:
the JFLL [Junior First Lego League], and their community web site. Check out these budding scientists!
I just love the fact that these tournaments are becoming better attended than the school basketball games! I can only hope now, that FIRST will rise to eclipse football as well. Just imagine a nation of youngsters innovating instead of bashing into each other!
When compared with the comparison group, FIRST students are:
- More than 3 times as likely to major specifically in engineering.
- Roughly 10 times as likely to have had an apprenticeship, internship, or co-op job in their freshman year.
- Significantly more likely to expect to achieve a post graduate degree.
- More than twice as likely to expect to pursue a career in science and technology.
- Nearly 4 times as likely to expect to pursue a career specifically in engineering.
How can you turn your back on statistics like those, even if there is a bit of self-selected sample group?
Go forth and Innovate!