Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"Think Twice Before Getting in a Car With an Aries!"

Astrology has always ranked somewhere behind phrenology and the study of navel lint in my taxonomy of pseudo-science. I even distinctly remember a crushing blow from many years ago (before I was married) when this smoking blond was purchasing some software ahead of me in line at Comp USA. I mean really, how often does THAT happen? I was in proto-nerd heaven, giddy with the prospect that a technically oriented, yet still hot, young lady might find some common ground with someone in the Physics program. And then I noticed that she was purchasing Astrology software. Sigh.

Had I but known that some real actuarial data might actually back up some astrological claims, perhaps I could have mustered the initiative to ask her out, or at least what her sign was. So take heart, all you technical types. Perhaps those hot astrological chics are still within reach. Be sure to check out this press release. "According to Insurancehotline.com, astrological signs are a significant factor in predicting car accidents. "

The study, which looked at 100,000 North American drivers' records from the past six years, puts Libras (born September 23-October 22) followed by Aquarians (January 20-February 18) as the worst offenders for tickets and accidents. Leos (July 23-August 22) and then Geminis (May 21-June 20) were found to be the best overall.

"Now, changing postal codes is far less significant to me than drivers of certain astrological signs," she told Reuters on Wednesday.

Even age, another variable for determining insurance rates, is less of a consideration to Romanov. The cutoff line for being considered a higher risk driver is 24 years of age; 25-year-olds are considered not-high risk. "I'd rather get into a car with a 24-year-old Leo than a 25-year-old Aries," Romanov said. Leos, described along with the study results, are "generous, and comfortable in sharing the roadway. Aries, on the other hand, "have a 'me first' childlike nature that drives Aries into trouble."

"I wasn't believing in it before," said Romanov, "but I would think twice before getting into a car with an Aries."


It's in print. It must be true. Ahem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Statistics can lie just fine, but it sounds good. Phil

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't we stop and ask ourselves why (oh, why?) someone chose to investigate this particular line of questioning with regard to the data? Who woke up one morning and said, "I wonder what sort of an impact your birthday has on how you drive?"